Serves: 4 as a main course, 8 as a side dish
Perfect as a vegetarian main course and just as good as a side dish, my favourite version of Cauliflower Rice is colourful, bountiful and full of flavour. If you’re not familiar with this kind of ‘rice’ please let me explain! For a start, it’s not actually rice, it’s cauliflower turned into a rice-like rubble. Lots of people eat it because they’re avoiding grains or carbohydrates. I just eat it because I love cauliflower, not only for its own flavour and texture but also because it’s a great carrier of other flavours and textures, as seen in this bright and healthy vegan dish.
Don’t turn away if you’re not a cauliflower fan. Heaps of cauli-phobes actually love cauliflower rice. Give it a go!
- 1 clove garlic
- 3cm fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 long eggplant, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 carrot, cut into 1cm cubes
- ½ red capsicum, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium cauliflower (approx. 600 grams), broken into florets
- 100 grams broccoli, broken into florets
- 3 stalks kale, leaves stripped from stalk and roughly chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons tamari
- 80 grams raw cashews
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- sea salt, to taste
- ½ lemon, zested
1. Place garlic and ginger into Thermomix bowl and chop for 2 sec/speed 6.
2. Add the eggplant, carrot and capsicum. (Or start with roughly chopped vegetables and chop now for 2-3 sec/speed 4.5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.)
3. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Cook for 10 min/Varoma/Reverse/speed 1. Check eggplant is soft (I hate undercooked eggplant). If still hard, cook for another 2 min/Varoma/Reverse/speed 1. When soft, turn vegetables into Thermoserver (or into a bowl covered with foil) to keep warm. You don’t need to wash the Thermomix bowl after removing the eggplant mixture but scrape it out well.
4. Place cauliflower and broccoli florets into mixing bowl. Add the kale and chop for 2 sec/speed 5. You are looking for an even rubble, around the size of rice grains. Chop for another 2 sec/speed 5 if necessary. Scrape down.
5. Add the remaining coconut oil and cook for 9 min/Varoma/Reverse/speed 1.
6. Toss cauliflower mixture with eggplant mixture. Gently stir through tamari. Check seasoning and add salt or more tamari to taste. Transfer into a serving dish.
Scatter with cashews, spring onions, sea salt and grated lemon zest just before serving.
- It can be a good idea to stop partway through both cooking processes to scrape the mixture from the sides and base of the mixing bowl.
- Cauliflower Rice can be served warm or cold.
- Feel free to add fresh chilli with the ginger, or with the nuts at the end.
- Use any vegetables in place of eggplant, carrot and capsicum and change (or omit) th e nuts
Dani is a writer, eater, traveller and cook and she loves to show people how to cook with a Thermomix. You can follow her on Instagram @danivalent
This recipe and the accompanying how-to video is live at danivalent.com, along with 150 other fantastic Thermomix recipes. Become a member to have access to all this, plus great new content every week.